Frequently Asked Questions
Before Booking Your Portrait Session:
1. How far in advance should I book my photo shoot?
- Bookings are made on a first come, first serve basis, so if you need to reserve a particular day, please make your booking at least one month in advance. That's not to say a last minute booking isn't possible though. Get in touch and I'll do my best to accommodate your schedule.
2. Do I need to pay a deposit?
- Yes, a non-refundable deposit is required to make a booking.
3. When is the rest of the payment due?
- The remaining payment is due the day of the photo shoot.
4. What forms of payment do you accept?
- I accept cash (yen or USD) and credit card payments in person, or digital payment via Venmo or PayPal.
5. What if I need to cancel?
- I understand that scheduling events can be tricky, especially if you're visiting Japan for a short window of time. Please contact me as soon as possible to discuss any scheduling conflicts. If you need to reschedule, I'll do my best to find another time that works for you. In the event that you need to cancel our session, 1/2 of your deposit can be refunded. If cancelling less than one week before our scheduled time, the entire deposit is forfeit.
6. Can I book a portrait session in a location outside of Tokyo?
- Of course! I'm happy to travel outside of the city for an additional fee to cover transportation and expenses. Please contact me for details.
7. Can we take some time to discuss details of the shoot beforehand?
- Absolutely. I typically recommend a call via phone or Skype (or email if you'd prefer) to plan the initial details of the portrait session. On the day of the photo shoot, I like to meet up at least half an hour before the scheduled start time to grab a cup of coffee or tea and chat. This helps to get over the initial awkwardness of meeting someone new and helps the whole portrait session go a lot smoother.
8. What should I wear?
- Short answer: Whatever you feel comfortable in and allows you to be your real self.
- Longer answer: Generally speaking, avoid anything that distracts from your face. For example, extremely bright colors or distracting patterns near the collar. What works best will also largely depend on when and where we plan on shooting. This is something we'll discuss on our initial planning phone call.
On the Day of Your Portrait Session
1. What happens if it rains on the day of our shoot?
- Japan tends to be a pretty rainy country! Luckily, it's usually not more than a passing shower, and it can actually add a lot of ambiance to a scene. If the rain is light, we can still take some beautiful photos. In the case of a larger storm however, we will need to reschedule. If rescheduling is not an option, your deposit will be refunded.
2. I'm lost/running late! What should I do?
- Don't panic! Tokyo is a massive city and can be completely overwhelming to navigate. I totally understand. Get in touch with me via phone or email and I'll help guide you to where you need to be.
3. Can we change the location of my portrait session?
- Generally speaking, I'm pretty flexible about this. Please let me know as soon as possible if you would like to change the location and I'll do my best to accommodate.
4. Can I bring a friend to keep me company?
- I believe the best photos happen when you're relaxed and truly being yourself. If that means bringing a friend or playing your favorite music on a Bluetooth speaker, then by all means, do so!
Getting Your Finished Images
1. How many photos will I receive after my portrait session?
- I don't believe in setting a fixed number of images to send to my clients. When you book a portrait session with me, you're booking an experience, not a fixed package. Because of this, I like to send every excellent photo we take together. That being said, for a one hour shoot, you can typically expect at least 30 finished images.
2. How long will it take to receive my photos?
- I do my best to get you your images as quickly as possible, but not at the expense of quality. Generally speaking, my turnaround time is 2-3 weeks.
3. How will I receive my images?
- For the majority of my clients, I setup a privately hosted proofing page that is only accessible with a unique password assigned to you. On this page, you can review and download all of your finished photos.
4. How long will you save my images?
- For your convenience, I will keep your proofing page hosted for 3 months and your photos backed up externally for at least 1 year. If you happen to delete the photos and need to re-download them, send me an email.
5. Can you send me all of the RAW files afterwards?
- Unfortunately, no. When it comes to digital photography, RAW files are just the starting point for what will become your finished image. They're not a fair representation of a photographer's finished work. For the same reason an author doesn't release their rough drafts, the only images I send are the final edited versions.
6. Do you offer physical prints?
- While I don't handle printing myself, I would be happy to recommend you to a trusted printing service!